Wednesday, June 28, 2006

In Hot Pursuit

Genesis 31:22-55

Three days later, Laban realizes that his family has skipped town and for the next seven days he hunts them down. God appears to Laban in a dream and tells him not to say anything to Jacob, either good or bad.

So Laban catches up to them and promptly says to Jacob "What have you done? You've deceived me, and you've carried off my daughters like captives in war. Why did you run off secretly and deceive me? Why didn't you tell me, so I could send you away with joy and singing to the music of tambourines and harps? You didn't even let me kiss my grandchildren and daughters good-by. You have done a foolish thing. I have the power to harm you; but last night the God of your father said to me, ' Be careful not to say anything to Jacob, either good or bad.' Now you have gone off because you longed to return to your father's house. But why did you steal my gods?"

This is Laban's version of not saying anything to Jacob, either good or bad. It seems like he says a lot- most of it critical- yet he seems oblivious to the idea that he hasn't followed God's order. Maybe he thinks the disclaimer excuses the action. I shouldn't say this but...

Jacob says he left out of fear but says the gods were not stolen. In fact, he tells Laban "...if you find anyone who has your gods, he shall not live." Laban searches and fearfully Rachel puts the gods in her camel's saddle and sits on it. She tels her dad, I'd get up, but, as she so delicately puts it, "I'm having my period." Luckily Laban doesn't discover Rachel with them. Would Jacob really have killed Rachel if her dad had discovered them. It seems like rash vows like this are seldom a good idea.

Jacob lets Laban have it. This seems like a dream opportunity for Jacob. You've been such a slime ball, and finally I get a chance to let you know how I feel. And amazingly the rebuke seems pretty well received. Maybe Laban is really living up to the not saying anything good or bad to Jacob at this point. Jacob ends the rant by saying that last night God had rebuked Laban. Was this decree from God punishment? It reads more like a warning to me.

The chapter ends with a covenant between father and son-in-law. Jacob promises to take no other wives besides Laban's daughters and not to mistreat them. They lay down some stones and promise not to go beyond the heaps attempting to bring harm to the other.

Once again, this is pretty weird. Laban seems more concerned about losing his idols then his family. This may indicate his lack of faith in Jehovah. Jacob had 14 years with this man and it seems like not much has rubbed off faith-wise. Although, it may be that Jacob's heart is on worldly things at this point too; heaping up riches and procreating.

Why does God give Laban the orders he does- and is it significant that God speaks to such a devious character as Laban? Is he testing Laban's resolve? Is it a chance for him to do right? Is the message here that we're all God's children, from those in Jesus' line to those who have a history of the most dastardly deeds.

So Rachel escapes with her little tin gods, and Jacob and Laban are at peace.

1 comment:

Wonders for Oyarsa said...

Hey Chris -

Isn't it amazing what a small (big) world we live in. We're both blogging the Bible, starting at the same time, and are about at the same place.

Great to meet ya!