Saturday, June 17, 2006

And you think religion's scarred you

Genesis 22: 1-19

This section is the familiar story of Abraham attempting to sacrifice his son on the altar for God. I've wondered (and in fact still do) why God needed this proof. He can read our hearts, right? He knows what tomorrow holds in store, so why is this test necessary?

Maybe it was for Abraham. Maybe the result is Abraham saying- ok, I've made some bad choices, I've been afraid, I've been dishonest, but in this very major test involving my beautiful child, I passed. I am truly devoted to my Lord and God.

The text never really says it was for God's benefit. It says that God tested Abraham (but not for what purpose) and the Angel of the LORD said " Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son" (NIV) - so maybe God did know the outcome, it was a test designed to benefit those around.

The whole point-of-view thing involving God is frustratingly difficult to understand. God is testing Abraham according to verse one- but then the angel says you have not withheld your son from ME. Is he the angel of death? Is God speaking through the angel (in which case my outcome explanation doesn't make sense).

Obviously, Abraham shows all kinds of faith here. God has promised over and over to bless the world through my seed- and God wants to take him away. It seemed so close finally, but maybe we're starting over. God knows best.

Jana points out that there is a verse in the NT stating that Abraham thought He would ressurect Isaac (another reference to Jesus?). Once again though- believing he can and would both would take much faith.

So Abraham passes with flying colors- and his reward...the SAME promise he already had been given- or at least pretty close.

Here the angel appears to be quoting God and says "I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."

Can you imagine Abraham pausing and puzzingly responding...ummm, thanks. But wasn't I already receiving that? Maybe that's how our blessings work too. We know they're coming but we don't know what's in between here and the finish line that we'll have to face before we're allowed to get there.

I'm sure Isaac had some pretty high child psycho-therapy bills after this incident. To see your dad, knife poised, ready to bring you closer to your maker in a less than touchy-feely way would have to have some effect. Did this incident affect his childhood? Did it affect his parenting later on? Did it make him wake up in the night shivering, thinking he sensed Abraham's trembling figure ready to strike again? How would this affect his faith? Would he think that at any time he could be the lamb again?

I'm not sure how foreshadowing works in non-fiction, but this seems to be a pretty clear allusion to incidents following involving God's son- only no angel stops the hands nailing Him to the cross.

It seems a little sacreligious to verbalize, but the themes of child sacrifice are frightening to me- and if they weren't coming from God, I would label them sick and twisted. How do we come to grips with this (fixation doesn't seem like quite a respectable enough word) use of child trauma (both grown and not)?

On a lighter note- folks in this day seem to be less imiganitive than Adam. Adam named the animals and had to come with quite a few- but it seems like later on things are named pretty literally. Abraham names the mountain "The LORD will provide."

I've decided to name my socks "they smell from Chip's feet but Jana will wash them soon." What... you don't name your socks?

No comments: