Friday, June 16, 2006

Like Kissing Your Sister

Genesis 20

Once again I find myself a little puzzled by what transpires in this passage. In a retread of Genesis 12, Abraham claims that Sara is his sister and Abimilech takes her for his wife. Once again, I'm struck by the cowardly nature of this action from a man of such great faith. In order to save himself (I assume this is why), he's willing to let his wife be the loved one of someone else.

Now, God steps in before Abimilech does anything too severe, but Abraham seems willing to risk it. Abimilech says- wait...I didn't know, Abraham told me she was his sister. And God replies, I know, that's why I've stopped you from sinning.

So when Abraham is confronted with his story, he replies- well, she is my half-sister, so I wasn't really lying. It seems like this justification smacks of legalism. It's technically true, although I'm leaving out the pertinent parts that were really more crucial to your question.

And God tells Abimilech to return his wife and Abraham will pray for him. So, the offense is against Abimilech, even though it was Abraham being shady.

As in Genesis 12, I have a hard time coming to grips with Abraham's action being okay- but I'm still struck again by a man of God doing less than Godly things. Maybe that's what I'm supposed to take away. Even the greatest men of faith didn't have it all together- why should it surprise you that you struggle?

It actually doesn't, but it's nice to know that it doesn't surprise God either.

No comments: