Friday, June 16, 2006

Why Mrs. Lewis went with Jerry instead of Isaac

Genesis 21:1-6

So it finally happens. Abraham sees the promise start to come about. Isaac is born. Interesting that vs 2 says that the promise happened at the very time God had promised him. Does that mean God gave Abraham more detail then what we have here in Genesis? Is that God's way of saying, it'll be on My schedule- and look- here it is on My schedule? The former seems to make more sense to me.

It does change the story a bit, though, to think of Abraham having a tentative schedule for the blessings God had promised. Easier to keep the faith if there's a deadline involved that hasn't yet been passed.

I think it's pretty cool that Sarah names the son Isaac (he laughs) and says "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." She laughed when she heard about the promise, and I guess finally having a child kept the joy alive.

Quite a lot of pressure to be funny if your name is Isaac. I've met one or two in my life. Not funny guys.

Lesson here for me: God follows through. Keep the faith, great things are coming.

No comments: