Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Lord's Supper

Genesis 18:1-15

OK- it seems like there's so much nuance that I've never noticed before.

In this section Abraham sees three men approaching and somehow knows these three men are the "LORD". I guess that's what happens. It says the LORD appears to him and he looked up and saw three men standing there. Maybe God appeared and said- look- here I come- but it's not really clear how Abraham knew these men were God. It's also odd that he refers to them as "lord" (not LORD as it appears elsewhere in this text). He does seem to realize who he is talking to though.

Do these three men comprise the trinity? Is it God and some angels? Is it something beyond abstract that is pointless to try to put your mind around?

Abraham begs them to sit and rest and let him get some food and water for them. And they do?! And apparently they don't just eat...they EAT. He tells Sarah to get 20 quarts of flour to make some bread- I haven't ever made bread, but Jana assures me that that would make a lot of bread. I assume they eat the bread, although it's not mentioned- it does say that they had a choice, tender calf and curds and milk. While I'm tempted to use this story to justify my fascination with buffets and what we all plan to do on Thursday(Thanksgiving), the cooler part of this story is that God eats dinner with Abraham. I don't know that Abraham eats- but he's still there with him.

This is a far different picture than the high and mighty, unreachable, easily agitated deity that is so easy to picture in so many stories in the old testament. In some instances it might seem like God and Jesus are contrasting images of each other- God, the warring, burning bush, loud voice in the night, stern leader through the wilderness- bringing the flood and banishing from the garden. But here- he seems an awful lot like the Jesus we see in the New Testament. Sure, I'll hang out for awhile- why thanks, I'd love some food.

They repeat the promise to Abraham about having a son with Sarah- only now they're much more specific. In a year, it will happen. Sarah is amused by this revelation and chuckles in the tent. Remember, just last chapter Abraham reacted the same way- but this time God responds.
"Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the LORD ?"  (NIV)

Is the reaction because it was Sarah? Maybe it was a cummulative effect. OK, I let it slide last time- but why don't you people take me seriously?

Sarah reacts naturally- when she's confronted with her reaction, she gets nervous, or embarassed and lies about it. How often have I made a bad situation worse by not being straight about my guilt. For me, it's also a temptation to admit to a little bit- it eases the conscience for a few minutes- and then the guilt comes back, and you're worse off than you were before. Oh Sarah, I feel your pain.

No comments: