Monday, July 03, 2006

Covering His Bases

Genesis 32: 1-21

So Jacob is on his way home and realizes that bumping into Esau is probably inevitable. I wonder if this was one of the first things to cross his mind when the LORD told him to head on home. I wonder how much of his time with the Labanese was spent obsessing about the wrong he'd done and his more than strained relationship with Esau. I wonder if he was dealing with guilt, or fear of getting what he deserved, maybe a little of both.

I'm struck by the humility of Jacob as he prepares to meet with Esau. He tells his messengers "This is what you are to say to my master Esau: 'Your servant Jacob says...I am sending this message to my lord that I may find favor in your eyes.'"

He doesn't come in strutting with his possessions and family and proclaim, God's with me pal- back off. He comes with his tail between his legs. Some of this may be out of self-preservation, but it might be important that he refers respectfully not just to Esau, but to his servants about Esau. Jacob sends his gifts ahead "to pacify him."

It's also important that before this meeting with his hairy big brother, Jacob takes his worries to God. He shows God respect and prays to be saved. Important lesson here, when you face your greatest fear, God can help.

So maybe Jacob is heading in the right direction. Or maybe:

Jacob is working that clan of Rachel manipulation. I'll try to buy off my brother with my newly acquired wealth. I'll speak softly not from shame, but because it will serve my purpose.

Jacob plans to divide his group in two, so if Esau attacks one, the other group can get away. After he makes these plans, he goes to God in prayer. Was this an afterthought? Okay, I've got it all worked out, but just in case, let me get God in on this too.

Life may be like this often. We plan and scheme and God becomes our safety net instead of our refuge. And we pray, let our plans work out- instead of let your plans work out.

Or maybe what we see here is that constant struggle between fixing your own problems and trying to turn them over to God. And Jacob, like the rest of us, gets it right sometimes, and messes it up at others.

The trick is increasing that positive ratio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you nailed it on this one Chip. The fact that we seek out God's help in hopes that maybe He will line up with our own plans, rather than seeking God's guidance before we make our plans.

All too often we attempt to assess our struggles and problems alone rather than going to the great Master. God is faithful to answer the prayers of His children. Go boldy before his throne!!