Saturday, June 12, 2010

See Previous Post
Numbers 4:29-33

This section seems to be a slight variation on the last one. The names have been changed to protect the boring.

Another census- this time to see how many Merarites there are frame-carrying age. Ithamar continues his power trip assigning the specific tasks. No Blazzar! I said you carry the northwest corner tent pegs! C'mon...listen!

The Merarites are in charge of lugging frames, posts, bases and the like.

It strikes how arbitrary this all is. Hmm, now the Merarites seem naturally inclined to be post people... keep them away from the curtains. You know how they are around curtains.

This is not assignment based on skill, or likely even on merit. This is an organizational attmept to make sure everything gets done. Because of my fabric expertise, I might be more inclined to cover the table, but since I'm a Merarite, I'm not put in that position, even though I know in my heart I could serve better there. Carrying crossbars is my lot.

In the same way that arbitrary things like your family name, notoriety, or economic status open doors for some, they close them for others. This isn't saying life should work this way- it just does. If I'm a Merarite, I can dream all day of being a Gershonite- but I'm still carrying posts.

I'm not suggesting that a person can't break through unfair circumstances- but maybe understanding that sometimes my position has nothing to do with who I am, but instead criteria beyond my control can help me deal with the situation I'm in. Post carrying isn't always a punishment. If I don't view it as such, maybe I can better deal with my self-worth whether I like my job or not.

No comments: