Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Heaven and Hail

Exodus 9: 13-35

God tells Moses- get up early- confront Pharaoh- demand release...and let him know, if you think the early plagues were bad...I'm just getting warmed up. Let him know that if he won't let them go this time- the full force of my plagues will come. If I wanted to, I could wipe out his people without any problem- I've been toying with him so news of my glory and power will spread.

God doesn't wait for an answer because he continues, you still won't let them go, so at this time tomorrow- I advise bringing everything- slaves, animals, crops- into some form of shelter, because you're going to see hail like you've never sen before.

Some officials who feared God heeded His warning, but others ignored it...to their peril.

Moses was instructed to stretch out his hand to the sky so the hail would fall...and it did. It beat down everything in the fields- men, animals, plants, even stripping every tree. All flax and barley were destroyed. Wheat and spelt (a wheat used mainly to feed livestock...I had to look it up) were ok because they ripen later. Everywhere was wiped out, except Goshen where the Israelites lived.

So, God has Pharaoh's attention. I have sinned- he claims. Moses isn't buying it- I'll pray for you- but I know you still don't fear God.

And Moses is right, once the hail stops, Pharaoh changes his mind and says the Israelites aren't going anywhere.

I wonder how Moses is feeling at this point. Is he just going through the motions? He knows that the plagues haven't phased Pharaoh. He calls him on it when he pleads for prayer. But does he hold himself responsible for the death of slaves who had the unfortunate circumstance of having skeptical owners. Yes, the plagues came from God- but they are initiated by Moses. Would this haunt him?

And I still don't understand Pharaoh. He's seen the power of God...what doesn't he get?

But metaphorically I do understand him. I seem to pay a lot more attention to God when things are falling apart- when I'm overcome with guilt, when money's tight, when I have an earache...not quite plagues, but still when I'm in need. But when the problem's gone, while I might be thankful immediately...it might be that my turning to God is less frequent. The plague is gone...I don't need you right now. At least that's what I seem to think subconcsiously.

I don't ask for plagues...just a closer walk.

No comments: