Friday, June 10, 2011

Family Responsibilities
Numbers 18: 1-7


Perhaps in an effort to make the point more clear, God speaks to Aaron instead of Moses and says- "Your family is responsible for any mishaps regarding the sanctuary- and you and your sons will bear the guilt for any transgression involving the priesthood.  Bring the Levites to help you  They are accountable to you- and can help with all the tent duties, but they've got to keep away from the furnishings of the sanctuary or the altar.  If they come near them, both they and you will die. They will help with all the tent work, but that's it- no one else can come near where you are."

"This set-up is to prevent another situation like we just had- I'm trying to spare the Israelites from My wrath.  I'm  giving you the Levites as a gift which I selected for you.  But remember, anything inside the curtain or near the altar is just for you and your sons.  This priesthood is a gift- anyone else who comes near is to be put to death."

So this massive responsibility is a gift?  Can I just get a gift card to Outback instead?  Would they have viewed this massive undertaking with the potential for death as a blessing?  Or would they too be longing for the slavery of Egypt?

What I find interesting here is the group punishment idea.  Both the lawbreakers and Aaron's family die if these commandments aren't  kept.  If it happens too often, wouldn't they run out of priests?

It seems like the shared responsibility would be an effective tool in keeping the law.  I think that people may be less likely to engage in individually risky behavior if they are reminded that this behavior will result in the death of innocent parties.

It seems like a similar mentality to what a kidnapper does to influence behavior- if you don't follow my rules, your loved ones will get it.  I'm not very comfortable with God being a kidnapper in this metaphor, but perhaps this if you won't do it for Me or yourself, at least do it for others mentality was just the next step in getting people to realize that sin has consequences beyond the sinner.

And in fact, perhaps it's simply a way for us to see that our sin does that too.  We aren't responsible for each other's sins- but if we are aware of the ripple effect- the pain my lies, my greed, my lust, my pride all cause other people, maybe I'll be more conscious of keeping those things in check.

Fat chance, but it's a lovely thought in theory.

No comments: