Sunday, March 27, 2011

That Burns Me Up
Numbers 11:1-3

So the Israelites start whining (as Israelites tended to do) and it got back to God and He was none too pleased. In fact, He was riled up enough that fire "burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp." But apparently they had a change of heart when they felt their nose hair singeing and ran to Moses (as Israelites tended to do). Moses prayed, the fire died down and they named the place "Burning".

It's easy for me to identify with God on this one- it's hard to handle ingratitude. When you've given and given and it doesn't seem to be thought of as enough you can feel the fire build up inside. You start to wonder why you've even bothered and you might start letting the verbal molten lava flow (as actually burning things might seem a bit extreme or get you into legal trouble).

But while it's easy to think I'm lining up with God here, it's more likely that I'm the whiny Israelite wanting better perks, more money, more time for myself, less stress, and fewer demands. Instead of being grateful for what I've been given, I too often look at what I lack (even though that list is quite short when compared to most of the world). And it might be that Moses here is hinting at what Jesus is doing for me all these years later.

Father, I know he's acting like a spoiled brat...but don't get angry. Remember Your love for him, your promises. Be patient.

And while the thought of God being angry enough to spew actual fire is pretty unnerving- the idea of his calming down because of (presumably) a prayer from Moses is comforting. And even more comforting still knowing that Jesus is right there on our behalf.




No comments: