Thursday, March 25, 2010

Random Harvest
Leviticus 25: 1-7

So in addition to the other sabbaths set up to observe- there is also a sabbath for the land. Odd. For six years, they were to sow, prune, and gather. On year seven, not so much. On this seventh year there is to be no sowing, no reaping, no pruning, no harvesting. Whatever the land happens to produce is fair game to be eaten- but it's not business as usual for that year.

This certainly makes the job of farmer a lot more appealing. Every six years you get a year off. Sweet. No early mornings, no back breaking weeding, oops- no spinach grew, guess I'll have to have some more twinkees instead.

It certainly makes reliance on God much more necessary. If I give up complete control of food production, and perhaps my livelihood (the year off wasn't a paid year off I would assume) and I totally depend on God to provide for me, how does that change my perspective of my relationship with Him- and how does it change my appreciation for His gifts?

In our day and age, what does that look like? How does we give the land a sabbath? I'm the opposite of a farmer (although I'm a pretty good consumer)- is it good for the land to get a year off? Is the world of agriculture improved by not overproducing food that doesn't get eaten? Is God telling us that as great as His creation is, we need to treat it with moderation?

Or is this more about our need to depend on Him? But how does that work in our context? Quit your jobs for a year? No grocery shopping for a year? No vegetables for a year? I'm leaning toward that one. Maybe our culture has become so complex and busy that stopping anything for a year would make our whole way of life crumble. And maybe that's the point.

No comments: