Thursday, February 19, 2009

Midas Touch

Exodus 37:10-16

We're still in reruns...or maybe in this section it would be appropriate to say we're revisiting golden oldies. You can find our original discussion on the golden table here: http://chiphall.blogspot.com/2007/11/tabled-discussion-exodus-25-23-30.html . It wasn't too interesting the first time.


Not much new to add. God gave them specifications...and it looks like they did it.

Now this is all being made from items freely donated by the Israelites. I wonder if this gave them an added connection to the finished product. Look Jimmy, grandpa's gold watch went into this table, you can still hear it ticking. Well, I can't chew my food because I don't have any fillings left, but that table is majestic.

And if so, maybe we should have that same connection to what's done with our "golden offerings." Instead of a blind sense of satisfaction, maybe we should take more specific interests in the lives of those who are impacted by what we give.

Author Shane Claiborne downplays the role of charity because it separates the classes of people involved. If I have money, I give, I get rid of my guilt, but I never become involved in the lives of the needy. He advocates becoming one of the needy- being connected with where our help goes.

I still think charity is important. But I think that the idea of becoming involved in the lives of those who you impact is powerful and important. I've strayed a bit from the golden table here - but maybe in the same way an Israelite might feel more connected to a table made for God because of the role they played in it being built, I might feel more connected to people all over the world if I not only help them...but am invested in the finished product.

No comments: