Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rest or Die

Exodus 31: 12-18

So God tells Moses that this whole honoring of the sabbath thing isn't optional. Work for six days and rest on the seventh. Violating this commandment is to result in death. Actually in one place it says that he who does work will be cut off from his people. That might be a literal cutting because twice in this series of verses it says that he will be put to death.

This is an interesting commandment- forced rest. You will relax! It's like force-feeding someone a banana split and threatening punishment if you don't enjoy the hot fudge.

It goes beyond the need for rest, although I think that that concept plays into it. God says that the sabbath is a holy day and is a sign between Himself and the Israelites commemorating the creation. It is a sacred day.

So- how do those concepts apply to us in a capitalistic, workaholic, go-go-go society (he asks typing from his office keyboard at 5:11 pm)? I think I work hard- but I get more than my share of rest- four months worth in fact. So getting enough isn't the issue- but does God expect a ritualistic day of rest. Is he mandating that Saturday we take it easy?

Is Sunday (the first day) our sabbath? If so, is working that day the wrong choice? If so, preachers beware- all sermons must stop.

I know that some of my apprehension regarding this issue comes from having a job which requires lots of on-duty Saturdays and Sundays. And even if I'm not on the road, I might be preparing lectures, editing speeches, or cutting literature. Maybe the issue for us isn't a mandated, uniform, everyone-take-a-day-off kind of day- but to treat days of rest as holy- to reverance God with rejuvenation- to honor Him by resting as He did.

If so, no sweat- I'm a great rester.

At the end of the chapter, God gives Moses the two tablets containing the testimony. I'm guessing it was a paranoid trip down the mountain with Moses afraid of dropping the tablets ala Mel Brooks and settling for the five commandments.

No comments: