Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Knick-Knack Tabernacle

Exodus 25: 1-9

God tells Moses to tell the Israelites to make Him an offering. He's to take an offering from "each man whose heart prompts him to give." This seems like it's a totally voluntary kind of set-up, but how do you explain your heart not prompting you to give to God? So God asks for it if I don't mind, but there are these great Nike air-sandals I've had my eyes on...sorry God, maybe for the next tabernacle?

Anyway- God asks for the following items: "gold, silver and bronze; blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen; goat hair; ram skins dyed red and hides of sea cows; acacia wood; olive oil for the light; spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense; and onyx stones and other gems to be mounted on the ephod and breastpiece."

Then God says to build Him a sanctuary- and if you do, I'll dwell among you. However, make it exactly the way I pattern it for you.

I tend to have a condescension toward ornate places of worship. Yeah, it's pretty, but how many people could have been fed with what it cost to simply pave the parking lot? The stained glass is breathtaking, but how much more good have been done if this money had gone to the homeless? Fancy pews, but what about the Africans with no clean drinking water? And to a large degree, I still feel that way- but if I were to make a case for a beautiful house of worship, I think this would be a good place to go for support.

God expects their sacrifice to make a beautiful place for Him to dwell in. He wants their financial commitment to His service. He doesn't demand it...but He wants it.

More importantly though- I think this is yet another contrast between the old and the new. Before Christ, the emphasis is on form, law, the outward...what you've done. When Jesus comes, everything changes. Yeah murder's bad- but hate is just as bad. Yep- adultery's a no-no, but lust is the same thing.

And maybe the principle holds true here. Before, build me an external house- I'll dwell there with you. But after Christ- you are that temple...I'll dwell inside of you.

1 comment:

Chip said...

Lindsey wrote:

Just had a quick thought to share....

Your last sentences caught my attention when you said "build me an external house- I'll dwell there with you. But after Christ- you are that temple...I'll dwell inside of you." All too often, we do the least amount possible to get by. We think that God will be satisfied if we attach a guest room in our hearts just for Him, right next to those belonging to love of money, jobs, or whatever else.

The Hebrew word for tabernacle is Mishkan, related to the Hebrew word to "dwell", "rest", or "to live in" (thank you wikipedia). God says, I either come live with you or I don't. I'm not going to be your tenant and let you bring me in and kick me out whenever you please. So for us to build a temple for God in our hearts, that means that He's there 24/7, living with us, not just visiting for the holidays. Easier said than done though.