Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Idol Hands

Exodus 20:22- 21:1

So God clears up His use of the word "god" in the beginning of this section. He seems to mean lowercase "g" god- not almighty being God. He tells Moses to tell the Israelites. You've seen me firsthand- I've spoken to you directly from heaven- no doubt that I'm real- so don't create gods to put alongside of Me. Don't make silver and golden gods- you've got the real one- you don't need those cheap knock-off gods.

Then He tells Moses to have the Israelites build an altar out of earth for Him- and to scarifice burnt offerings and fellowship offerings (or peace offerings) to Him on it. He specifically mentions sheep, goat and cattle as sacrificial items. He says that if you build it out of stones- don't use dressed stones. The only sense I can make out of this phrase is maybe don't decorate it- don't chisel a cool design in the stones. If a tool is used on it, it will be defiled.

Why would a tool defile it? Maybe it's "I made the earth- you made the tool." Although technically, God made the tool too- but perhaps in a sense the tool is a defilement of what God initially made. It's puzzling to me that sinful man could touch the earth- but not tools.

And don't go up the altar steps, lest your nakedness be exposed on it. I guess if they are up higher than others, people could look up their garments. I would assume this happened in other settings, but God says here- this place will be holy- we have no room for any chance of lewdness going on.

One of the most interesting parts of this section is a statement tucked in the middle of the altar instructions. "Wherever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you." God doesn't say when you honor Me- I will bless you, He causes His name to be honored.

Yet another reminder that we aren't in control. Not having this control is in some ways frightening- but if our trust is in God, it should be comforting.

May You cause Your name to be honored.

No comments: