Friday, January 26, 2007

Wise Guy

Exodus 5:21- 6:12


So Moe, afraid to speak in public, once again has the courage to stand up to God. This time he more or less says- Why am I even here? Nothing but bad things have happened- and You're nowhere to be found.

God answers with reassurance- not wrath. Really a neat moment of God's patience and love for His creation. Instead of barrelling back with "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" He instead tells Moses, "You'll see, it's all under control."

His continuing message is a little (ok a lot) puzzling, though. He says, " I appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob- but they just thought I was God Almighty, not the LORD."

Huh?

I'm not sure that I get the actual distinction- is He saying they knew I was A God but not THE God? I think ultimately the point may be- they were impressed at My power, but they really had no idea how much in control I really am.

God comforts Moses and says that it will be ok. But when Moe reports back to the Israelites, they'll have none of it. After the extra burden from Pharaoh they'd like nothing better than to distance themselves from this guy who uses his rod to stir the pot.

God tells him to go back to Pharaoh but even after the comfort from God, he goes back and still tries to get out of it. If the Israelites won't even listen to me, how will I ever convince Pharaoh?

This may be where we can empathize most. We find ourselves with the burden and forget that God runs the ship. I don't have to worry about what I can do. If God is working through me then the obstacle is unimportant. We don't just serve God Almighty- we serve The LORD!

No comments: