Saturday, October 21, 2006

A Fine Bless You've Gotten Us Into

Genesis 49:1-28

So Jacob gathers his sons around him and administers what Moses calls a blessing. I guess it all depends on perspective.

He says to Reuben:

You've always excelled but... remember that whole Bilhah thing? Yeah, you thought I didn't know about it- well I did and you will now be turbulent as the waters. Basically- your ship is sinking.

To Simeon and Levi:

You two are bad dudes- you've got thug mentalities, using your swords to solve your problems- hope I don't ever need your counsel. "I will scatter them in Jacob and disperse them in Israel" - this last part is a little confusing to me, but I'm assuming it means they won't have a land to themselves- the offspring will scatter.

To Judah:

"You are a lion's cub". Yeah, good things are coming. I guess the whole Tamar incident wasn't as important as some of these others that get his brothers in trouble. He'll wash his garments in wine and have the finest branch for his donkey. My son- here's a true blessing.

To Zebulun:

You will be a haven for ships and live by the seashore. This seems like a much lesser blessing- but maybe he's saying you will serve the function of being help to those that need it. The ship that comes needing a haven? You're it my son. God is going to use you.

To Issachar:

Here's an odd one. You will find such great land, you'll submit to forced labor. I want to live here...so enslave me! But I suppose the message is that you'll find something you like so much that great sacrifice will be worth it to you.

To Dan:

You will provide justice for your people. OK so far so good... you'll be "a viper along the path that bites the horse's heels." Maybe the horse is the bandit trying to escape and end up being caught in the fangs of Dan's justice- but a viper is a strange metaphor (especially biblically with the whole garden of Eden thing and all) for something admirable.

Maybe the message is- you'll administer justice- but justice isn't always what people need. How about some mercy instead?


To Gad:

You're going to be attacked (O Happy Day) but don't worry, you'll fight back. Oh, good, as long as I've got something to look forward to.


To Asher:

You're getting some rich food. Asher sounds like my kind of man. Beyond the literal food though, this may be a metaphorfor Asher's ability to procure and appreciate the "finer things" in life.

To Naphtali:

Depending on the translation- you're either going to have lots of beautiful children or you're going to be an eloquent orator. Or maybe he'll use his oration skills to woo a beautiful woman and get both.

To Joseph:

You can go ahead and put on the purple robe. You've been delivered- you're the prince among your brothers.

To Benjamin:

You're a ravenous wolf- but at least you share your plunder.


I don't think I'd label this discourse as a blessing. It seems more like a predictor- maybe even a prophecy. Calling this a blessing for some of these guys is like reaching under the tree Christmas morning and opening a hornet's nest.

I like the idea though of family assembled to hear the wisdom of their father- words of warning or praise from someone experienced. I'd like it best though if I were Judah or Joseph. Sorry Reuben- at least you'll get a sandwich named after you.

No comments: